Thursday, September 4, 2008

How to mark a book

In high school, I was one of the people who had a very clean and very well taken care of books, mainly because I didn’t want to have to pay for that shit. But when now I have to buy my books for myself I mark them as much as I can. It really helps me when I’m reading to comprehend the book a lot better. “First it keeps you awake”, (pg 22) this is probably the truest thing that Mortimer Adler said in this paper. When I read it’s like the sand man comes and throws whatever sleeping solution he has all over me, I seem to die when I start to read( unless it’s a war book that talks about brown-brown). Also I really agree with Adler when he says you should write all the important things down, it really does help you memorize things. I’m a little thrown off by the way Adler get so in touch with his books, it’s a little weird. He really loves his and wants to own them, but I don’t know if I like reading that much yet. As for letting friends borrow my books its fine with me if they write in my book it will probably help me understand it more if they do that.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Your blog entertained me. I would definately agree with your analogy of the sandman coming when you read a book. I have that problem too, books bore me the majority of the time. Adler does get a little weird in his emphasis on owning a book, and maybe a little out of hand. I like your point on your friends borrowing your books. I never thought that they could write in them and give me insight to the book as well. Although i did not completely agree with Adlers essay, you pointed out the few good points he made.

Michelle said...

You are so right about how in high school you didnt mark the books because you didnt want to pay for them. I was the same way. Now when I buy my own books, I too mark in them as much as I can to stay awake and to get a better understanding. I disagree with you about getting "in touch" with your books. I would definently want to mark mine up to make it my own, but thats probably just because I love to read!