Tuesday, September 16, 2008

once more to the lake

Once More to the Lake is a great example for a remembering essay. The author captured my attention and brought me back to summer when he described the glorious and peaceful days of summer vacation. In my opinion he did a good job of bringing back some of my typical summer memories. The essay has a great voice and allows the reader to be able to bring back their own personal memories from a family vacation. The descriptions throughout the story help to establish the setting and mood. I really liked when he described the lake as “cool and motionless”, and his “fear of disturbing the stillness of the cathedral.” (21).

I felt very relaxed as I read. This was because of his descriptions of summer perfection. I love those places that you visit every year, and it is exactly the same, just as beautiful and perfect as the year before. It is a place that no matter what you wouldn’t want it to change because if it did there would be no reason to come back. One sentence that in my opinion summed up the theme of the essay was, “Summertime, oh summertime, pattern of life indelible, the fade-proof lake, the woods unshatterable, the pasture with the sweetfern and the juniper forever and ever, summer without end;” (23)

No comments: