Monday, September 1, 2008

Shitty first draft

"Shitty first drafts. All good writers have them"(74). I couldn't agree with this statement more. this is always why I think that I am a horrible writer, I think that all my first drafts are amazing. I think that this is an extremely well written paper or essay whatever you want to call it. I especially liked the sequencing of her paper compared to a human life, "The first draft is the child's draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later."(75) Also the way the you write all the paper at first is a very good way to lose bad and retain good ideas. The people in the head was a little weird but I assume everyone has those. I also assume everyone to a certain extent feels a trigger getting closer and closer to being pulled as the time gets closer to the quick arriving deadline. But this is a good way to have a good paper, the three day process or three paper process. In the very near I will probably use it, it has already taught me that I should do more than one draft.

1 comment:

MommaCabe said...

I have to agree with most of what Alex is saying here. I really thought the comparison of the first draft to a child was an interesting perspective on Lamott's part. Although the "voices" in her head, like Alex said, were a little weird...it just goes to show us that we all have different obstacles when it comes to writing first drafts. Not every writer has to weed out the voices in their heads, but most of us have some kind of distraction that we need to lose to be able to focus more.